Lunch Box Surprise
- Carefully slice the tops off your favorite type of apple, core them but leave enough in the bottom to hold the filling. Keep the slices. Brush the slices and the exposed flesh of the apples with a little lemon juice.
- Mix peanut butter or cream cheese with raisins and/or your favorite nuts and fill the apples.
- Put the tops back on, wrap in plastic wrap or plastic sandwich bag and enjoy for your lunch.
Smiling Apple Sandwiches
- Core your favorite type of apple and slice it into 1/4 inch thick rings.
- Spread peanut butter on an apple ring and top with another ring to make a sandwich.
- Cut each apple sandwich in half, making two smiling apple sandwiches out of each.
- Fill small paper cups with apple cider and partially freeze.
- Put a Popsicle stick in each one and continue freezing until solid.
- Peel the paper cup away and enjoy a refreshing natural snack.
Dried Apple Rings
- Wash and dry as many apples as you want to use, make sure each apple is unblemished and sound.
- Peel them or not as you wish. Core each one or you could core them once you’ve cut them into rings.
- Cut each apple into 1/4 inch thick slices, then put each slice into a bowl containing 1-1/2 oz of salt to 6 pints of water. Let the rings steep for about 10 minutes.
- Thread the rings onto a pole (a bamboo cane will do nicely) and hang it above a heat source (a radiator, an Aga cooker, etc.).
- They will dry fairly quickly depending on the heat source, 2-3 days. When ready they will feel leathery and slightly soft to the touch.
Search for more of our yummy recipes using apples.